Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We've got the smokers. Next the drinkers!

Whilst I have been trying to avoid the BBC as much as possible, thanks to the unique way in which it is funded, its presence is far too insidious to allow even me (without a television) total abstinence.

Tonight on the local "news" program, an item about the new demons of society, (unsurprisingly a group of which I can claim membership) people who drink alcohol. Actually I must be extra bad because I even indulge in making wine. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a link for the story, but it appear there is a "charity" that advocates that people should only be allowed to drink on licensed premises. Said "charity" wants to see a ban on things like supermarkets selling alcohol and presumably a ban on people drinking in their homes.

That the BBC had managed to come up with such a story, and a "charity" to give it credence, whilst a disgraceful use of money was not particularly surprising. The report followed the standard format: BBC "reporter" tells us about the goals of the "charity" and some presumably random ordinary people on the street are interviewed. The saddest thing I heard was one individual who said something like this: "I think I have the right to drink a moderate amount in my own home".

NO! The proper response is this: "I am a freeborn Englishman, and in my own house I'll do what I want to (provided it doesn't involve harming others). If I choose to drink alcohol in whatever quantity it is no business of any so called charity or the state or anyone else."

The attitude of the unfortunate interviewee demonstrates how just how low (despite or perhaps because of our wonderful education system) the self-esteem of some individuals is. Here is a supposed free person, at present he can choose how much alcohol to drink in his house; he is now faced with a proposal (which practically is unenforceable and bonkers) that will undermine his freedom and his response is that he thinks he has a right to drink a moderate amount. In other words he is in favour of the proposal, provided he can drink a moderate amount in his house. Effectively he is saying: "I don't know how much I should be allowed to drink please come and regulate me. I also don't trust anyone else so make sure the're regulated too."

What a sad state of affairs.


Creative Commons License





<< Home